Practice, Practice, Practice – 1 Month Before The Big Day!

By Nadhila Najwa


Most people work hard to be exceptional... but the KYS Orhestra works harder, smarter and together to attain musical perfection!

 On Friday, 14 June 2019, a total of 92 KYS Orchestra members attended Orchestra Camp to prepare for their performance in July! 

There were two rehearsal sessions held for both KYSO and KYSJO at the Great Hall and Music Studio 1 respectively in order to polish and fix the pieces that are scheduled. Both rehearsals started at 8:30 a.m. and ended at 12 noon for lunch and Friday prayers.

After a long rest, the senior orchestra members gathered again at their respective rooms for sectionals while the junior orchestra members continued their rehearsal at Studio 1 to finish polishing their piece.

“Orchestra camp isn’t just about practice- it’s about having fun and bonding with your friends!”

At 4:45 p.m. sharp, all the orchestra members assembled at the Great Hall for the activity they had been anticipating for, which is the musical games which was handled by Naylee, Arief, Imran, Hanaaei and Nadhila. After a short briefing about the game, the orchestra members got into their respective groups and started to work on the lyrics according to the rhythm that was composed beforehand. A total of 20 minutes was given to each group and 4 minutes to present their song. The group that grabbed everyone’s attention was Group 3.

After dinner and prayers, rehersals began with KYSO in the Great Hall and KYSJO in Music Studio 1. Both sessions ended at 10:30 p.m. before everyone adjourned to the Dining Hall for supper.

The next day, the orchestra members woke up as early as 6 am to prepare themselves for a long, tiring day. Sectionals and private practice had begun at 7 a.m. to prepare the members for rehearsal that was scheduled to start at 8:30 a.m. As usual, the KYSO rehearsal was held at the Great Hall while KYSJO rehearsals were conducted at Music Studio 1. At 10:30 a.m. all members had their teabreak before continuing with sectionals with their respective teachers from 11 a.m. until 1 p.m. Lunch was served at the Dining Hall and the members were given until 2:30 p.m. to pray and conduct any sectionals or have their own private practice. 


Then, the KYSO continued with their rehearsal while KYSJO had their sectionals, dance practice and singing practice. Both sessions ended at 6 p.m. for us to prepare for dinner, prayers and rehearsal.

“We’re all in this together
And it shows
when we stand
hand in hand
make our dreams come true”

At 7:45 p.m. sharp, all members assembled at Great Hall for attendance before KYSJO went up on stage for their rehearsal while the KYSO members studied their scores and some helped out the junior members. Rehearsal ended at 10:30 p.m. and everyone headed for supper and their respective dorms.

Finally, the last day of orchestra camp. Everyone woke up at 6 a.m. to prepare for prayers and breakfast. Everyone was pumped up as it is the final day of camp. Sectionals and private practice started at 7 a.m. for section leaders and members preparing themselves for rehearsal; fixing a few bars on a certain piece and working on projection.

“Ohana is family!”

At 8 a.m. everyone gathered at Great Hall for rehearsal, starting with KYSJO. After the short rehearsal, tea break was served before the members continued with rehearsals. Senior violinists, double bassists and Junior brassists had their masterclass and sectionals at the Music Studios with their respective teachers, Ms Angela Lou, Madam Eugenia Lou and Mr Yau Yann Zhe. Meanwhile, the remaining members of KYSJO and KYSO had their rehearsals in Great Hall. The rehearsals ended at 12:30 p.m. while the masterclass and brass sectionals ended at 2 p.m. After lunch and prayers, everyone headed to Great Hall for attendance and started rehearsals at 2:45 p.m. During this session, the KYSO and KYSJO rehearsed the combined pieces such as We’re All in this Together and Rasa Sayang, before proceeding to fix and polish other pieces. Rehearsal ended at 6 p.m. and everyone headed back for prayers and prepared for dinner.

At 7:45 p.m. attendance was taken at Great Hall before having our final rehearsal of the day. Everyone took this final opportunity to really focus during this rehearsal to finish off the remaining pieces. The rehearsal ended at 10:30 p.m. and this marks the end of the orchestra camp. Everyone went for supper before heading back to their respective dorms.

Leave a Reply